Argument: China has played a positive role in Darfur
- "China says attempts to boycott Beijing Olympics doomed to fail". People's Daily Online. April 12, 2007 - "Zhai also said he does not think China's reputation will be marred because of the Darfur issue or its good relationship with Sudan.
- He said China keeps fairly positioned in international affairs and always plays a positive role.
- It was because of China's crucial role that Sudan accepted in principle the peace plan over the Darfur issue put forward by former U.N chief Kofi Annan, he said.
- During his stay in Sudan, Zhai held meetings with Sudanese President Omer al-Bashir and high-ranking government officials. He also paid a one-day visit to Darfur, touring three refugee camps.
- Zhai's trip was China's latest efforts to seek a peaceful solution to the Darfur issue.
- 'China will continue to play a constructive role in helping resolve the Darfur issue,' he said."
- Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi said in May 2007 - "On the Darfur issue, the position of the Chinese government is consistent and well known. We have provided humanitarian assistance and aid to the people of Darfur and will continue to do so in the future. The political process and the peacekeeping operation should be pursued and promoted in a balanced manner. We hope that this issue will be resolved properly through dialogue and negotiation."
- Beijing appointed in 2007 a special envoy to focus on the Darfur situation. This is a sign that they take the issue seriously.